Child Safety Week: Grieving father opens up about his daughter who died after swallowing a Button Battery

George Asan from Hampshire has bravely spoken out about his 2-year-old daughter, Francesca who lost her life in May 2016.

The father shared his story in a short film made by the Child Accident Prevention Trust, detailing his daughters unfortunate death.

Two year old Francesca died after she swallowed a small button battery which became lodged in her throat which eventually burned through and caused internal bleeding.

The father admits that “by talking about Francesca’s death it will encourage other families to talk about accidents and ask questions about what they can do to stop them happening to their own children”.

girl Credit: YouTube

In a heartbreaking statement, George Asan admits he feels guilty about how his daughter died as he didn’t spot any signs or symptoms that something was wrong.

In the short film, Asan states: “We found that it was a button battery and straight away I went to the cabinet and we had the 3D glasses for the TV. It was one of the spare batteries, in the original box of the glasses, which was in another box.”

“I don’t think in any parent’s mind, this is the first thing they’d look for.”

The father urges other parents to watch and share the film to raise awareness of the importance of keeping button batteries away from children.

button batteries

Advice to parents on Button Batteries:

    • Store spare button batteries well out of children’s reach and sight.
    • Keep products with button batteries away from your child’s reach if the compartment is not secure with a screw.
    • If you think your child may have swallowed a button battery, don’t delay, take them straight to A&E or dial 999 for an ambulance.
    • The Child Accident Prevention Trust have warned there are often no obvious signs that a button battery may be stuck in the throat although symptoms including tiredness, loss of appetite, pain and nausea may be apparent.

If you suspect your child has swallowed a button battery, act fast. Ensure your child doesn’t eat or drink anything and show doctors the type of battery you believe has been swallowed.

Source: Huffington Post




Comments