Disney mug taken off sale after lid got stuck on a 7 year old girl’s tongue

The Disney Store has withdrawn a travel mug from sale and destroyed existing stocks after a seven-year-old girl’s tongue became stuck in the lid.

Megan Donald’s tongue became jammed in the drinking spout of a Monsters Inc screw-top cup while at school in Kirkintilloch, near Glasgow. And as there were no ventilation holes, the cup could not be removed.

megans tounge

Megan’s mother, Natalie Donald, 31, said: “The mug was still attached and full of water so it was very heavy, a teacher was holding it up. They couldn’t unscrew it because of the suction inside the cup. It was airtight. Megan was panicking and very upset.”

Mrs Donald managed to move her daughter’s tongue away from the hole enough to let some air in, allowing the cup to be unscrewed from the lid, an ambulance was called and Megan was taken to A&E with the lid still stuck halfway up her tongue.

“Her tongue was really swollen and quite purple,” Mrs Donald said. “The doctor said he had never seen anything like it before so it was trial and error for them.”

megans tounge 2

The medical team at the Royal Hospital for Children in Glasgow gave Megan pain relief and tried to reduce the swelling with ice and dextrose but the lid was stuck fast.

They tried using bolt cutters to cut the hard plastic but could not get close enough to Megan’s face so resulted in using a hacksaw.

“They then got someone down from dentistry who gave her a local anaesthetic in her tongue which was really painful for her,” Mrs Donald said. “She was screaming and I had to hold her down. It was very upsetting for both of us. But they still couldn’t pull the lid off.”

“The doctor got a new blade for the hacksaw and managed to cut away part of the lid,” Mrs Donald said. “They then managed to use the dentist drill to make a line through it and managed to pull it off.

“We were so relieved. The lid was probably stuck on there for more than four hours.”

Megan had to stay off school for the rest of the week as she could not eat properly because of the swelling.

The Disney Store said it had withdrawn the mug and similar products from its stores and websites and destroyed all current stocks.

But Megan’s mother said she was concerned the same thing could happen to other children and has called for the company to recall the product.

dinsey cup

She told the BBC Scotland news website: “They said they had removed the mug from sale but what about all the people that already have them? I just want to warn people about them.

“You would never think this was something that could happen. You would never think a cup like that could be a danger.”

The mug had been bought from the Disney Store in Glasgow’s St Enoch Centre.

Source/Images: www.bbc.co.uk/news




Comments